Organized Packin' for Camp!

This was my son's first year to go to church camp.  He is nine years old and has never stayed away from home for more than one night except to visit my parents, so I was interested to see how he would do.  I was also interested to see if he would remember to bring everything home or if half of his wardrobe would end up under his bunk.  To help with the latter, we packed his bag together and tried to come up with an easy system.
First we picked out an outfit for each day.  I sent mainly play clothes as I knew having him wear nicer clothes would be a mistake.  We also picked out a couple "mud" outfits.  Those that he would wear on the waterslide and when they played in the mud.  Then we separated each outfit into a gallon ziploc bag.
I then wrote the day of the week on it.  He took out the outfit for the day, which included socks and underwear, in the morning and at the end of the day put it back into the same bag dirty.  This kept all his dirty clothes in his suitcase instead of thrown on the floor.

We then packed all the baggies in his suitcase so he could see them. 


He also had a toiletry bag that held the essentials.  It's amazing how little boys need compared to girls!!  My daughter had at least three toiletry bags.  Of course her dad says she gets it from me but I digress...
We also put in some flip flops for the shower, a towel and his pjs. 

Everything was easy to see and get to and he was ready to go. 
He did really well at camp and had a blast!  He even came home with everything we packed.  However, he didn't open his toiletry bag all week!  That's right, didn't brush his teeth and apparently used his hand and body wash that was in the shower.  I guess you can organize and prepare all you want but at the end of the day, boys are still boys!!! :)




I linked this post to:
Organize and Decorate Everything

2 comments:

  1. Good for him! I love that you marked the baggies. That is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! My hubby thought I was going off the deep end when I marked them but hey - Colby came home with everything so he had to give me some props! hehe

    ReplyDelete