Burst of Sunshine

I saw this post a few months ago and thought to myself   "What a wonderful project for me to do when I have extra time." 
Extra time?  HA  Needless to say, it has taken me this long to even consider doing it.  But when you are snowed in for over five days, extra time does present itself. 
I will say this....it was harder than I thought it was going to be.  If I made a second one it would be fine but the whole trial and error thing took me awhile.  I started with a bag of skewers I bought at Wal-Mart, a round mirror from Hobby Lobby and a whole mess of hot glue gun sticks!

Now why oh why would Hobby Lobby stick a big ol' sticker right in the middle of a mirror?!?
To make things difficult I suppose.  So before I could even begin I had to get all that sticky goo off the mirror.

That's right, peanut butter.  It worked pretty well.
Next I marked of every inch on the backside.
Obviously this wasn't exact.
Then I marked down about 1/2 inch on each skewer.
My goal was to line up the skewer, pointy side in, at the mark on the skewer on top of the line marked on the mirror.  Whew, not sure that made sense!
Once I had a skewer glued on every line, I began filling in the spaces.  I staggered each skewer at a different length to give it variety.  I put 5 skewers between each main one.  The entire process took me about an hour and a half.  You can see how much hot glue I used.  It's covered!
It came out like this.  I didn't think there was enough difference in the lengths. 
What was I to do?  I wasn't about to start over.
Enter wire cutters.  That's right, I went around the whole thing and cut the skewers with wire cutters to the length I wanted them.  It worked surprisingly well.
Then I added florist wire across the back.
It doesn't show on the front.
Spray painted it in aluminum and this is how it turned out.
First of all, it's really hard to take a picture of a mirror, thus the side view.
Second of all I think I'm going to add some goldy tone on top of the aluminum because it doesn't stand out enough from the wall.
But all in all, I'm pretty happy with it - plus it fills that weird wall space! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment