My brain is going to explode.....

This is how I've been feeling lately.  (This is a webcam pic of my daughter by the way- I'm so proud! :) )  Then I read this blog post and it made me start thinking even more about the pressure we as women put on ourselves and sometimes others.

Alot of my problem boils down to my personality, or that's what I tell myself.  I don't like to start things unless I can finish them and do them perfectly.  Of course, I have to start things because that's life but I rarely feel good about them.  Add in the complete inundation of information these days....facebook, twitter, TV, magazines, "helpful" books and blogs -  my gosh the blogs!! 

I love blogs, obviously, I have one.  But I will sit down to browse through my list of favorites and jot down ideas I see or things I want to do.  What was suppose to be 10 minutes turns into 2 hours and I finally tear myself away feeling inadequate and lame.  Why can't my house look like that?  Why didn't I think of that?  I should be better about that.  I should always be prepared and have a plan like they do.   How does she do all that and still have kids?  I wish I had a super big fun craft room.  I wish I had this and this and this and time for that and that and that!

But I don't.  I do what I can, when I can.  Somehow it never seems good enough.  Well I say.....enough!  I will quit trying to be supermom/superwife/superfriend/superchurchlady/superemployee/supervolunteer (yes those are all words)  I will  be me!  Flaws and all. 

Blogs sometimes read like an annual Christmas letter.  Perfect pictures with perfect stories and perfect lives.  I hate to burst anyone's bubble here but I am far from perfect.  I don't always have it together.  It is the night before Thanksgiving and I still have 5 pies, cookies and a casserole to bake and I am sitting on my computer blogging.  But ya know what?  That's okay.  The food will get made and we will have a wonderful day with my family. 

That's what is important after all right?  Not how much you get done or how pretty you look doing it but that you make an impact on those around you.  That when you leave this earth they don't just say, "Man she made a mean pumpkin pie!"  They say, "Man she was a generous, loving, compassionate person and I will miss her!"  So relax this holiday season ladies!  Do what you can do and forget the rest.  I guarantee your kids will not remember if your wrapping paper matched but the time you spent together celebrating the birth of our Savior. 

Now, I'm off to do some baking!!

3 comments:

  1. Were we separated at birth? You sound like you could be my much wittier twin LOL! Have a fabulous day with the family making fun memories. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH honey.. NO ONE is perfect. Some choose to share the good stuff, while others share the not so good stuff, and we just have to realize that we are all living & struggling with life together. I have to say that I do not always have it together, but try my hardest. When it works great, and when it doesn't I've learned to just live with it. Give yourself a break. Things aren't always as they seem and the grass isn't always greener. We're all in this thing together. A few little lessons I've learned. Laugh.. then laugh some more. When life makes you want to cry, find a reason to laugh at it instead.

    Happy Thanksgiving, because we always have something to be thankful for.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thanks Patty - I always wanted a twin! LOL And thanks to you too Amy...I know no one is perfect, I just have some days when it feels like I'm the only one who's not! My husband is always telling me to give myself a break too, maybe I should listen! ;)

    ReplyDelete